Glossary of Terms

Base Cabinet -
Cabinetry set on the floor and finished with countertops.
Base Molding -
A decorative piece of molding applied to a flush toe kick to enhance its appearance and give it a finished look.
Bead Board -
Paneling that incorporates beaded, routed detail and conveys relaxed, casual styling. Beaded styling adds texture and design to flat panel wood coverings, and is noticeably accentuated by glaze finishes.
Bead Board Panel -
A flat panel cabinet door design that incorporates vertical beaded texture on the recessed panel area of the door. The wood door frame is more simple and constructed with cope, stick and rails.
Corbel -
A functional or decorative bracket made of wood or stone and used typically for countertop overhangs, hoods, etc.
Decorative Hardware -
Handle or knob attached to the door or drawer front, and is used to open them.
Distressing -
A process that gives the appearance of being antique. This hand-applied finish technique generally refers to any finish which looks worn and imperfect.  This could be modest sanding on the edges, simulated cracks, worm holes, screw marks, chisel marks and dings intentionally “applied” to create the impression of naturally aged wood.
Flat Panel -
A recessed center panel to a door or drawer design conveying Transitional, Shaker, or Arts and Crafts styling.
Frameless Cabinets -
Frameless, or European-style cabinets, have no front frame. The doors are attached directly to the sides of the cabinet. Frameless cabinets, which are more contemporary in style, offer the advantage of completely unobstructed access to the cabinet interior because there is no front frame.
Filler -
A piece of wood stock matching the cabinetry used to fill gaps between cabinets and other cabinets, walls, appliances, etc.
Finger pull -
In lieu of decorative hardware an optional routed cut-out is located in either the center top or bottom of doors and drawer fronts. 
Full Overlay -
This is a door type that covers the majority of the front of the cabinet box. Most common in frameless cabinets.
Glazing - 
A specialty finish in which a translucent glaze is applied after a stain or base coat which is then hand wiped resulting in the glaze being wiped from any flat surfaces while remaining in any raised or recessed areas. This finish method is used to create an aged or antiqued look that is unique to each piece. Glazing shows best on surfaces with sharp crevices or edge details and distress marks however pieces with few or no areas for hang-up do not benefit at all from the application.
Hardware -
A general term for decorative hardware such as door and drawer pulls/knobs/handles as well as hinges, key locks, drawer locks, etc.
Hardwood -
Lumber from the group of trees with broad leaves, this has no reference to the actual hardness of the material itself.
Knot -
A naturally occurring whorl in lumber created where a branch extended from the tree.  These can be open or closed, are natural and not considered a flaw or defect in the wood.
Laminate -
The process of lamination applies a surface material over a core substrate. The most common laminations are wood veneer material or “High” Pressure Plastic” applied over a furniture board or MDF substrate core.
(acronym for Medium Density Fiberboard) an engineered material used instead of wood, composed of paper pulp and glue, it offers an extremely tight and smooth surface.
Melamine -
A chemically fused paper, pressed and sealed, then laminated onto MDF, plywood or furniture board.
Modification -
A change to a cabinet, per a customer request or field requirement, which is outside the normal production standards.  Typically these are aesthetic and/or functional upgrades available for an additional charge.
Molding -
An ornamental piece of millwork used for decorative purposes, usually at the top or bottom of a cabinet, wall or piece of furniture.  Moldings may be routed or flat, curved or straight, and can either be a simple single piece, or an ornate stacked combination of pieces.
Mullion Doors -
Mullion doors have glass inserts in place of the typical solid center panel for a more stylish appearance. The inserts have horizontal and vertical dividing bars similar to those in windowpanes.
Paint Grade -
A lumber grade used primarily for cabinets which will receive a painted finish. 
Plywood -
Thin layers of wood veneer bonded by adhesive, in alternating directions, forming a panel to create a material which is stronger than solid wood alone.   All materials created with wood layers (plywood) or waste materials (OSB and particle boards) are graded based on the number of particulates per square inch and furniture board is more dense and refined, and therefore in a different class than particle board.
Raised Panel -
A style of door of exposed ends consisting of the frame (either cope and stick or miter) with a solid wood or MDF center panel cut dimensionally and/or routed which projects forward from and floats in the frame.
Recessed Panel - 
A style of door of exposed ends consisting of the frame (either cope and stick or miter) with a thin, unadorned veneer, solid wood or MDF center panel cut and inserted in the frame and floats behind it.
Soffit -
A soffit or “bulkhead” is the area between the ceiling and the top of the wall cabinets, is usually 12 inches high and extends out over the wall cabinets.
Solid Wood Door -
A door with a solid wood center panel is comprised of boards that are joined or glued together to form the width of the center panel. Because natural woods have variations in color and grain pattern from board to board, these variations will be apparent in a solid wood door. Typically a solid wood door is more expensive than a veneered door.
Stain -
A finish material applied to wood products to add color and protection. Stain is transparent and intended to enhance the natural beauty and grain inherent in each type of wood.
Stile - 
The vertical pieces of a door frame (in contrast to the "rails" which are the horizontal members of the frame).
Thermofoil -
Flexible, 100 percent colored vinyl. With adhesive on its underside, it is applied to smooth, MDF which has been formed into a door, drawer front or molding design. It has solid, opaque coloration and is easy to clean and maintain. Ideal for durable areas.
Toe Kick -
The niche at the bottom of most base and tall cabinets. 
U.V. Ultraviolet (UV) Light curing is a photochemical reaction—photo polymerization—that uses specialized coatings which when exposed to UV light, instantly cure, creating a much harder, more scratch resistant surface then can be achieved with conventional coating techniques.
Veneer -
A veneer is a thin piece (1/32 of an inch) of solid wood which is attached with glue to a substrate. Veneered components are more uniform in finish and grain consistency.
V-Groove -
A vertical beaded or grooved door style design. Works well to highlight finish techniques.
Wood Grain -
The natural pattern and texture produced in wood.
Wood Species -
Different types of hardwoods or softwoods. Examples are maple, oak, cherry, hickory and pine.